A ceremony to appraise the exporters involved in the palmyra related industry was held today (15) in the morning at the Sri Lanka Foundation Institute. The ceremony was presided over by Mr. Mahinda Amaraweera, Minister of Agriculture and Plantation Industry and high officials including foreign ambassadors and exporters of palmyra related products participated in the ceremony.
Palm toddy juice as a new product was introduced to the international market in a new package in here and several palmyra-based food and cosmetic products were also introduced.
Mr. Mahinda Amaraweera, Minister of Agriculture and Plantation Industries expressed his views while participating in this event. There are 11 million palmyra trees in our country. But only 40% of it is used. The remaining 60 percent of the palmyra trees are still not being used properly.
Today, there is a high demand for palm toddy juice, which are introduced as a new product in a new package in many countries. Several countries, especially Canada and France have offered to buy these products. Although the upliftment of this industry can generate high income, it is a problem that palmyra-related products have not been developed as an industry so far.
Therefore, the palmyra industry in this country is working to give priority among other plantation crops. An income of 78 million rupees has been earned in the last 10 months of this year.
Therefore, more income can be earned by promoting palmyra-related products. Therefore, the Minister also stated that we as the government will provide all the support we can provide for the promotion of this industry.
Dr. Krishantha Pathiraja, Chairman of Palmyra Development Board and others participated in this event.