This division acts in respect of sponsoring the implementation of research projects related to field of agriculture technology and natural resource management. Further, taking actions to achieve progress while coordinating such projects, and strengthening legal framework related to agriculture while regulating Agricultural Acts are under its purview. This division is under the supervision of Additional Secretary (Agri Technology).
1. Strengthening the legal framework related to field of agriculture and proceed relevantly
2. Intervention to regulate food crops related import-export activities and advisory intervention for quarantine activities
3. Fulfillment of activities related to implementation of researches and projects on post-harvest technology
4. Extending supports to relevant institutes in respect of agricultural surveys and supply of information
5. Fulfillment of responsibilities assigned to Ministry of Agriculture on Natural Resource Management and Environmental Conservation
6. Performing administrative activities related to pest control and pesticides and granting legal provisions
7.Taking actions to protect Jack, Breadfruit, and Female Palmyra and Coconut trees by proceeding in accordance with Falling Trees (Control) Act
8.Support activities related to increase of soil nutrition and integrated plant nutrition systems
9.Implementation of projects related to soil tests and recommendations of fertilizers
10.Meeting the requirements to regulate the proceedings to increase the quality of seeds and planning materials
11.Building relationships with foreign countries and international agencies and maintaining the relationships as beneficial for both parties.
12.Providing information related to International Trade Agreements in the purview of International Trades and coordinating those endeavors relevant to field of Agriculture
13.Development of projects under public-private partnership
14.Regulating imports of agro inputs and machineries favorably to local agricultural technology and economy.
Duties and responsibilities
1. Regulation of proceedings related to agricultural researches and technologies with reference to food crops vital for agricultural development of the country
2. Handling requests and appeals referred to the Ministry of Agriculture regarding agro technical issues
3. Co-ordination of all agriculture technology matters in all institutions under the Ministry of Agriculture
4. Represent the Ministry of Agriculture at meetings, workshops, conferences, seminars and field activities on agriculture technology and proceed with required actions
5. Regulation of import-export activities related to food crops and imports related to agro inputs and machineries favorably to local agricultural technology and economy
6. Implementation of policies and programs related to management of natural resources
7. Coordination of matters in institutes under the Ministry of Agriculture when implementing the policies related to natural resources
8. Taking steps to strengthen the legal framework related to the field of Agriculture
9. Updating existing Acts related to the field of Agriculture, giving orders under those Acts and conduct inquiries on related complaints and appeals [Seed Act, Plant Protection Act, Control of Pesticides Act, Soil Conservation Act, Tree Falling (Control) Act]
10. Introduction of new Acts to the field of Agriculture
11. Recommending quata to import Agro chemicals under the supervision of relevant authorities.
12. Giving approval to exempt duty & cess for importation of accessories for agriculture purposes.
Programs in process
1. Coordinating, monitoring & evaluating following projects
2. Establishment of soil testing facilities at agrarian service centers
Establishment of soil testing facilities at agrarian service centers programme has been started 2021 and covers the most of provinces in the country. This programme is conducting at field level as combined project of Department of Agriculture and department of Agrarian Development. The main objectives of the programme are test the soil at field level for provides soil nutrients based fertilizer recommendation and Providing Soil Health cards. Responsibility for soil testing using mobile soil testing equipment is given to the Agriculture instructors of Department of Agriculture. Responsibility for the collection of soil samples are given to the Agriculture Research and Production assistant of department of Agrarian Development.
The District level training programs have been conducted for training the Agriculture instructors and the Agriculture Research and production assistants for the Eastern, Sabaragamuwa, Southern, Northern, Central, North central, North Eastern and Uwa provinces. The mobile soil test kit have been distributed among Agrarian Service Centers in the country as one soil test kit per one Agrarian Service center by Ministry of Agriculture. Soil health cards have been distributed among the farmers for paddy lands at Agrarian Service center level.
Main Units Under the Division
This division functioning as a sub-division of Agriculture Technology Division is entrusted with following responsibilities;
Improvement of project proposals received from varied institutes under the Ministry of Agriculture and forwarding to Donor Agencies. Submitting such proposals to Implementing Agencies subsequent to the receipt of approval and ensure required follow-up during the phase of implementation.
Building relationships with foreign countries and international agencies and maintaining the relationships as beneficial for both parties.
Providing information related to International Trade Agreements in the purview of International Trades and coordinating those endeavors relevant to field of Agriculture
Development of projects under public-private partnership and coordinating the implementation
v Coordinating the projects (Improvement of priority fruit value chain production in Sri Lanka and promoting commercialization) implemented by the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations and ensure required liaisons with FAO
v Submitting project proposals to JICA and implementing such projects ensuring coordinating activities
v Functioning as the Coordination Unit of Asian Food and Agriculture Co-operation Initiative (AFACI) and ensure relevant project coordination. Organizing related international summits / workshops.
v Liaison with Sri Lanka Center of Korean Project for International Agriculture (KOPIA)
v Organizing International workshops of Asian Productivity Organization (APO) in Sri Lanka and other related coordination activities with APO
v Submitting project proposals to African-Asian Rural Development Organization (AARDO) and coordinating its projects (Initial project for commercial breadfruits in Sri Lanka)
v Coordination activities with other international organizations (CAPSA, APPPC ,TFNET, WFP, CIRDAP …etc.)
v Signing Memorandums of Understanding (MOU) with different countries and perform required proceedings and review the progress of signed MOUs.
v Official proceedings relating to International trades and international trade agreements (SAPTA, PFTA, DFTA, CFTA …etc.)
v Coordination of projects being implemented under public-private partnership
ü Projects with private institutes to develop seeds and planting materials
ü Project to establish an Agricultural Training Center in Walpita
ü Waste Management Project in Gohogoda
Particulars of officials of the division
01. Mr. P.N.N. Jayaneththi
02.Damith Chandrakumara Pathirage- Agriculture Operating Officer
03.R.A.D.D.N. Ranasinghe - Agriculture Development Assistant
04.Nadeesha Shyamali Nishshanka - Development Officer
05.Radhika MahadevaDevelopment Officer
06.R.P.M.Shiromani - Development Officer
07.A.W.S.S. Gunarathna - Development Officer