|The Internal Audit Unit is directly responsible to the secretary of the Ministry. This unit do not attend to financial, accounting or operational activities.|
|The main objectives of the Division are as follows,|
• Study internal controlling systems of the Ministry as well as those of Departments and Institutions and carry out continuous survey and independent evaluation on the suitability and sufficiency of internal investigations undertaken for revealing and preventing shortcomings of those systems.
|• Examine the composition and implementation of Internal Investigation and Controlling System in place within the Ministry for preventing frauds and abuses.
• To examine whether information required for deciding the reliability of accounts and other reports and for preparing accurate financial statements have been provided with reference to accounting procedure adopted.
• Assessment of quality of the performance of the staff in relation to the responsibilities entrusted to them.
• Examine as to how protection has been ensured for assets of the Department from damages in all forms.
• Examine whether the Establishment code, Financial Regulations and other supplementary issued from time to time by the Treasury and the Ministry in charge of the subject of Public Administration are strictly adhered to.
• Examine the strength of the internal controlling systems adopted to reveal and prevent waste and unnecessary expenditure.
• Examine accounting procedures of the Ministry and other institutions under its purview and undertakings leading to unnecessary expenditure while ensuring economic usage of all properties and assets of each institution.
• Conduct investigations wherever necessary.
• Examine the operational activities of the Ministry in the managerial point of view rather than accounting point of view.
Evaluation of projects and programmes and work schedule in relation the achievement of their targets.
• Conducting on the spot and timely investigations on controversial issues leading to delay of work.
• Evaluation and review of criteria adopted for supervision of operational activities.